06.05.2008
talkin' about a revolution (and other flower child matters)
Wooouuu, where do I start? Did a lot of exciting things the last few weeks. Well, first of all was enjoying the fantastic reunion with Evken after almost four years. Hope the next period will not be that long, weisse Bescheid nech? Well, she was quite lucky to be in Lisboa in the right time: On the 25th of April there was the national holiday to remember the Carnation Revolution, a Revolução dos Cravos, where the Portuguese finished the period of Salazar's dictatorship by a peaceful revolution. There was a big festa at the other side of the river, a lot of people, a lot of cheesy portuguese pop music and an opulent fireworks. But people told me, there will be a moment that I will ever remember. Well, they were right. It was really moving when the whole crowd of people started to sing "Grandola, Vila Morena", which became the sign that showed people that an era did end. To get an idea, here is the song:
Afterwards everybody was cheering and they did distribute cloves to all the people while there was this neverending fireworks. We had to catch the last ferry afterwards, a bit tired but so happy. The next day it was so f****** hot, the only possible descision was to picknick in Parque Eduardo VII, which is next to my door and where fortuantely the demonstration started as well.
Great days of summertime... Several times I went to the beach the last weeks always in company of congenial, funny people. To put it in a nutshell: Nice conversations about everything under the sun, swimming in the ocean, delicious picknicks again, people diggin beachvolleyballs because of being bored, loooooooots of icecream, lobster-like sunburn (but later it got tanned!) and at least a sensational reading of one of Woody Allen's works spontaneously literally translated from italian to the origin english. Very Prestige!
To finish I have to mention that marvelous event on Sunday close to the Torre de Bélem. After a long walk from Cais do Sodré on a very hot day, following the rails like a group of wild west cowboys who actually lost their horses, singing Tom Waits-like and always longing for some fresh water, we finally reached the park. It felt like paradise: A lot of people hanging round, chilling in those cozy and large pillows, free ice-tea again (why is there either jazz or free drinks or both when I enter a place in Lisbon? Well, I won't complain...), children playing football, laughing, the sun slowly set herself to dawn in front of the perfect scenery of the river Tejo while there was phantastic smooth nu- and acid jazz (yeeeeha, my favourite!!!) that made me forget about my tired feet and all of my worries and all of us dancing till dark.


p.s.: Eva, Tomáš e Vicy, muito obrigada pela tirar fotografias!
1 Comments:
Blogger clod said...
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favourite things
Cream coloured ponnies and crisp apple streudles
Doorbells and slaybells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favourite things
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winter that melts into spring
These are a few of my favourite things
When the dog bites, when the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favourite things
And then I don't feel so bad